iPhone XS: Group FaceTime duplicating participants on iOS 12.2


iPhone users are reporting issue with Group FaceTime that while making a group FaceTime call some of the participants and duplicated in the call screen window. The issue is some participants show in video and as a box with their initials, which is a duplicate.
In a FaceTime call each participant had multiple 'boxes' where their face could be, though only one box per participant actually showed their face (the others had just their initials). It stayed like that through the entire call.The issue is very annoying and it seems impossible to remove the duplicate from the FaceTime Screen.

iOS 12: Group FaceTime duplicate participant box


It is confirmed that all the participants are on latest iOS 12.2 but still some of the participants are duplicated in the list. It is not for all the participants but some of them are duplicated.


It seems that iOS 12.1.1 have done lots of Group FaceTime changes and due to these some bugs are possibly injected in the feature. After the iOS 12.1.1 update many users are reporting Group FaceTime buggy and laggy and also suffering from the same people appearing multiple times in the same chat. Also sometimes people are only able to join as audio for some reason, and then they have two initials boxes.


One iPhone users reported more issue with the Group FaceTime :
On top of this duplicating issues (with is very annoying) I have another issue where if I make the call from my iPhone or iPad while my Mac is sleeping, next time I use my Mac it's starts calling me trying to add me to the call, even if it is hours or days later!!
I also have an issue that when I start a call from an iMessage group on my iPhone, it the calls me on my iPad, even if I'm already on the call!

There are no response from Apple on this issue and still many users are facing GroupTime duplicated participants issue in latest iOS 12.3 with iPhone XS/XR/8/7/6s plus, which is very annoying. The box with initial stays there for entire call making user feel uncomfortable.


How to fix iPhone XS Max/XR duplicate FaceTime issue on iOS 12:

There are not permanent fix for the issue so far and hopefully Apple will address this issue in upcoming iOS 13 release. There is a workaround to the issue which is detailed below just avoid duplicate participants in GroupFaceTime.

Workaround:  Remove the email address from the contact address

There is a workaround to this issue, which is to remove the email address from the contact information of the participants. This will remove the duplicating participants issue from iPhone FaceTime call on iOS 12. But surely this may not be the desired solution for many users as email are important for many instances.

Comments